Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Kris - The Other Dice God

I'm still figuring out this whole "painting" thing...

Better late than never!

     Hi there!  As I'm sure you've gleamed from my clever post title, my name is Kris.  I started this blog along with fellow Dice God member Sam almost 2 years ago, but this will be my first post.  Right now, the name of the game is Warhammer 40K.  I've previously played Grey Knights and Necrons, and currently have two army projects in the works - an Adepta Sororitas army (to which Sam is lending his amazing brush skills) and a still undecided Xenos army (more on that later).  I'm not a great painter, but I'm slowly trying to get better.  However, for my Sisters of Battle, I'm leaving that to a pro.

I may paint poorly, but at least I'm organized.

     Outside of 40K, my interests are spread all over the tabletop world, including Warmachine (Menoth), Firestorm Armada (Relthoza), BattleTech (Clan Wolf), X-Wing, Magic the Gathering (mono-white Angels), Yu-Gi-Oh! (Dragons) and Heroclix.  I've also got a big box of Relic Knights coming sometime later this year, containing 4 separate armies (Doctrine and Shattered Sword Paladins for me, Noh Empire and Black Diamond for Sam).  I also do a bit of board gaming with a group of friends, including games like Zombicide, Descent and Super Dungeon Explore.

I painted these when I was 11.  Don't mind the dust...

Where did he come from?

     While I'm still relatively new to 40K (having only started mid-way through 5th edition), my entry into tabletop war gaming began almost two decades ago.  It was the summer of 1995.  MechWarrior 2 had just released for the PC and reruns of the BattleTech animated series were airing every morning.  What can I say, I was a pre-teen who liked him some giant walking death machines.  It was no surprise that when I saw a group of people playing BattleTech at my local comic shop, I was instantly hooked.  I spent several years as part of our local MechWarrior's Guild, but then high school happened any my attention shifted to girls and sports.

I won one of these!

Then what happened?

     Graduation came and went, and I felt the desire to game on the tabletop once again.  But when I went looking for the BattleTech community, they were nowhere to be found.  Instead, there were two new games out that everyone was talking about locally: Heroclix and Yu-Gi-Oh!  I dove in head first and ended up playing both at the national tournament level for a while before pulling back to a casual interest level (though I do still dabble in both from time to time).



     Fast forward to 2009 and Dawn of War II for the PC.  I found the world of Warhammer 40K completely fascinating.  I began reading wikis and searching for any fluff I could find.  So, when my good friend Sam mentioned being interested in getting into 40K, I was all in. For the second time in my life, a video game led me to the tabletop.  I suppose the rest is history!



You mentioned something about an undecided army?

     Indeed I did!  My main work in progress 40K army is a heavily mechanized Adepta Sororitas list.  I desire a second army, but I'm unable to decide between the following three ideas:


  • Necrons with Triarch Stalkers, Annihiliation Barges and Immortals in Night Scythes.
  • Iyanden Eldar with Wraithguard, Wraithlords, a Wraithknight and a Forge World Wraithseer
  • The same Eldar above, but dropping the Wraithseer and putting the Wraithguard in Wave Serpents
     I tend to build army lists around models I like and themes I enjoy.  Sure, Necron Wraiths are awesome and Eldar Jetbikes tend to dominate, but neither of them fit my army vision.  I'd rather lose with an army I love than win with a win-at-all-costs list.

     So...  What are you waiting for?  Leave a comment and let me know which army you think I should move forward with!

No comments:

Post a Comment