He's Ready to Rumble!
In just over a week, I was able to take this guy from raw resin to painted! That's pretty good for a typically slow painter like myself. I airbrushed the skin, only adding a moderate amount of dry brushing at the very end to highlight the scales. The armor plating was base coated a dark brown, then I added salt to be removed later for realistic paint chipping. I then coated over the salt and the dark brown with my typical orange base. Then, with some water and a big brush, I removed the salt.
The salt technique is great, but it really shines when you do multiple layers with different shades representing different stages of rust and even fresh chips with bright metal. I feel like I actually could have applied more salt, but I chickened out a bit. That's silly because I could have always just applied my top coat to cover up the chips I didn't want.
Another "technique" I got to use for the first time on this model was the blood effects from the Citadel Technical Paints line called "Blood for the Blood God." This paint applies simply, dries glossy, and isn't opaque. It so quickly helped bring this model to life, telling a story of the wounds recently suffered in battle.
I've begun work on the platform, and I've included some photos of that below as well. Here are some glamour shots: